Thewanderingjew

Thewanderingjew

Eternal on the Water

Eternal on the Water - Joseph Monninger This book shines a light on true love and the courage necessary to face life and death.
It is a beautiful but tragic tale, described as a love story by the author. For me, it was more than that. It was a journey about survival, about facing life threatening challenges, about dealing with impending doom. The author's writing style is very easy to read. With a spare use of words, he paints really sharp and often extremely descriptive images. I felt as if I was in the setting and knew the characters. You will absolutely grow to love them. Their personalities jumped off the page and I enjoyed meeting them, half hoping that I would find people in my own life who resembled them, people who could be satisfied with the simple things, people who did not need the social climbing atmosphere of our current society which screams out more, give me more, at every opportunity.
The book opens with the death of one of the main characters and then works backward in time. The injection of humor into the telling of the tale makes the tragedy and the plight of the characters easier to handle. You will travel with the lovers on a nostalgic trip back in time, reliving their adventures, sharing their fears and joys, facing their sorrows and trials.
The book is divided into four parts. The first and last were the most poignant, for me, and also the most interesting and well written. The middle two sections sometimes seemed wordy and redundant. Overall, though, the story grabs at your heartstrings right from the get go and will hold them until the end. The story will touch you deeply so keep a box of tissues nearby.