Thewanderingjew

Thewanderingjew

The Sky Rained Heroes: A Journey from War to Remembrance

The Sky Rained Heroes: A Journey from War to Remembrance - Frederick LaCroix These are my initial notes after reading a small section of the book known as Part I.
The Sky Rained Heroes, Frederick LaCroix
I received the book and was really excited to start to read it because the message of the book, reconciliation with one’s enemies, truly intrigued me.
I was immediately disappointed because although the author has a good story to tell it is, truly hard to detect it. His choice of language detracts from the telling of the tale. It is too wordy. He waxes poetic which would seem more appropriate for a novel rather than a non-fiction research project to find a Japanese officer in order to return his flag, a very meaningful memento, to his surviving family. I have to really concentrate to figure out what the point is of each sentence because it is so wordy that it becomes convoluted.
I think the language of an essay would have been more appropriate. I was expecting more information and less emotion, less “wordy eye candy”. The message gets lost in the verbiage. I will keep on reading because I truly do want to enjoy the books I receive, especially for free, but this may prove hard to do. Perhaps when he gets into the meat of the book, the message will become more discernible.
I will be back to tell you more.
I am back. I have continued to read through chapter 7 in Part II, not very far into the book, maybe 20 pages, but it has become more painful to read, so early on, that I don't think I will be able to finish it. The book is written in sound-bites, platitudes and unnecessary quotes which, quite simply, detract from its purpose. They seem strung together for no apparent reason other than to point out that the author knows them, since they do not enhance his message but serve merely to prove that he probably reads a lot and has stockpiles in his memory.
At first glance, the presentation of the book cover appears to be juvenile. I assumed, therefore, that perhaps the publisher wanted to attract a younger audience, as well, with the picture of the fighter pilot and the colorful title. It does catch the eye with the red rising sun coming off the bottom of the cover. If this format encouraged some young adults to read and others simply to read about a traumatic time in history, it would have a positive result.
However, once I began reading, I realized the language the author uses would be a total turnoff to young adults as it has been becoming for me. The message is so circular that after awhile you have to reread each sentence to get back to the original point.
The editor should have reined in this author so that he was less concerned with flowery language and more concerned with his message. Strings of platitudes and quotes abound on each page for no apparent reason that I can discern other than to show the author is aware of them. They do not enhance his message but rather confuses it. I am finding the prose so overreaching and roundabout that I am not sure if I can stick with this book. I have so many more books I want to read that I know I will enjoy far more.
I am really sorry to give so poor a critique of a book someone has been kind enough to send me for free. Therefore, I will skim the rest and return to add to this review, only if I am pleasantly surprised and can give you a better one.
I just sat down with the book and quietly turned the pages to see if it would finally capture me...no luck. It is just more of the same. I think there are quotes from every book the author ever read. I am sorry to pan the book but I will not give up. I am passing it on to my husband to see what he thinks.