Thewanderingjew

Thewanderingjew

Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime - John Heilemann, Mark Halperin I listened to Game Change on an audio version of the book. Much more than half the book, perhaps even as much as 75%, is devoted to the Democrat race with Obama as the main character followed by Clinton and Edwards. It covers the plans, concerns, secret meetings and deals leading up to the candidate's run and eventual selection. There are no notes with the book so there is no back up proof provided about any of the comments. It could be hearsay and lots of gossip but it is what I expected it to be about, so I wasn't that disappointed. The dynamics of the couples and their advisors is interesting as well as the family and interpersonal relationships. The book does point out the grueling nature of the campaign which seemed to go on forever.

The book is pretty negative about the Republicans as well as most of the Democrats excluding the Obamas. In the descriptions, the Obamas are not described as negatively as the others. The choice of words is softer. Obama's eyes fill up. Hillary cries. One presents a picture that is sympathetic, one presents a weak image. The couple's relationships as well are atrocious, except again for the Obamas. Their issues are glossed over. Dysfunctional marriages, however, seemed to be the order of the day. Maybe it is the nature of politics and power.

The consensus of the reviews I read, like me, pretty much say that the Obamas come out the best in the book and, in fact, I thought they were treated more positively than any of the others but since he is the sitting President, I would expect that, out of respect for him and his family. Also, on the surface, from all the information presented, they do seem to have a loving marital and family relationship complete with mutual respect.

It is an entertaining book or perhaps expose, but it does dwell on personalities and relationships more than anything else. It is what it is, a tell all book. If you are looking for substantive facts, this is not the book for you. Most of us know the information included but the personalities and little remarks surrounding the exposure of the troubled candidates seemed new.