Thewanderingjew

Thewanderingjew

Paris: A Love Story

Paris: A Love Story - Kati Marton, Kathe Mazur In this audio, the reader deals well with French accents, but she does not inspire me as some readers have, with other books, to feel as if I am witnessing a beautiful performance. This may also be, because the book did not inspire me either. I found it flat, a bit too emotional, and although it revealed a few interesting tidbits, I thought it would be more about the important experiences of her lives with Jennings and Holbrooke, not about more casual romantic information or the emotional torment of Marton through the various stages of her own life. I thought her book made her seem a bit shallow and that surprised me since she has an accomplished history as an author and investigative reporter. Her past was interesting and I sympathized with her grief but not with her rather casual behavior throughout her life toward men while she was married or while they were married. I often wondered if she used them as stepping stones for her own success, but perhaps that is unkind.
Kati Marton began her life in Hungary. After suffering the torment of her parent’s arrest and subsequent terror of the Hungarian Revolution, she and her family finally escaped to America where she became quite successful. As a foreign correspondent she traveled the world. She met famous, influential people and put herself in danger to get an important story. Her first marriage ended badly; in her words, she was too young, and she seems to dismiss it as if it never existed. Her second to Peter Jennings also ended in divorce, and from her description, he was too needy and too controlling, though they did remain friends and maintained good family relationships. Then, she met Richard Holbrooke, and it was kismet. To Kati, he was the love of her life. Paris was the place they met and the place to which they always returned. His loss was enormous and that is what proffered her to put pen to paper and write this book, this memoir which projects him into our minds as a human being, not a diplomat, as a husband and a father and a lover sorely missed, and allows her to move forward, in her own life, without him.
Although she professed love or believed she was in love, several times in her life, she did have unfaithful moments. When she dated Jennings, he was still married, and then, she was not divorced when she began her relationship with Holbrooke, so I am left wondering about her in other than intellectual ways. She loved her extravagant lifestyle, yet preferred liberal values, so she did not comport herself as I expected she would. She seemed to be saying do as I say, not as I do. I could not help closing the book and wondering if she was, again, in the midst of a new love of her life, although she still grieves for Richard. I found the book too short on the lives of Holbrooke and Jennings and too long on her emotional musings. Unfortunately, it left me wanting.